Sunday, August 28, 2011

Question & Answer Session: August 2011

I really enjoy this segment where I get to directly talk about what my readers want me to. It provides a great amount of feedback as to what the readers are interested in and it gives me a message as to what I should do more or less of. While I skipped July's session, I am back for August with two new questions sent in by readers and or followers of mine. I really found these questions to be intriguing and juicy, and while one of them was an extremely simple question, the other takes a good amount of thought. I will answer each of your questions to the best of my ability and I hope the answers were nourishing.

If you can bring back any dead artist, which one would it be?


Given that this question has to do with a music artist, I feel I should reword the question to make it sound like this: Why do I think Roy Orbison should return from the dead? Yes, it is completely obvious that I would bring back Roy Orbison, but when you come to think about it, it may come as a good choice. Orbison died in 1988 at the age of 52 and at this time, he was making his comeback to music. Not only was it a comeback, but he seemed to be surrounded by much more hype than he was back in the sixties. Orbison made his big break with "Ooby Dooby" back in 1956 with The Teen Kings, found his signature as a solo artist with "Only The Lonely" in 1960, released his signature hit, "Oh Pretty Woman," in 1964, and from then until the eighties, he went through a dark period where he released a few songs and opened for some performers. His comeback was encouraged by various artists who either wrote music for him, performed with him, idolized him, or all of the above. Such artists include Bono, Jeff Lynne (of the Electric Light Orchestra), Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, k.d. lang, and the list keeps going on. "Roy Orbison's Black & White Night" featured Orbison perform hits with the likes of Springsteen, lang, Elvis Costello, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, among many others. He was also a part of (what I believe to be) the greatest supergroup, The Traveling Wilburys, along with Lynne, Petty, George Harrison, and Bob Dylan.

When Orbison died in 1988, his posthumous career included released albums such as "Mystery Girl" and "King Of Hearts" and featured headlines in the newspapers that would have not been as big had he died in the seventies. Despite such a big comeback, I believe there could have been an even bigger comeback. He had a tour planned for 1989 and would have most definitely been a part of "The Traveling Wilburys Vol. 3" (which followed "Vol. 1"). From there, we could have expected more concerts, duets, albums, music videos, and much more. I am only left to wonder what he would be coming out with if he was still alive.

Do you think we will end up in a double dip recession after the debt ceiling was raised?

I can say that the government is juggling with our banks like they're engaging in a sideshow act. If one of those pins drops, we are going to be in serious trouble. This looks like the making of another Great Depression, only Obama is not another Franklin Delano Roosevelt. While Roosevelt eased the situation with programs that held on until the Clinton administration, it was World War II that ultimately caused the end of the Depression by shifting the problem and forcing America to ration and make serious decisions. The only problem is that we never want to start a war. As far as I'm concerned, I think both sides should be ashamed of the job they're doing. It's more than just which party is better.

Balancing the budget should be a priority. If we as everyday people need to balance our own budgets, then the government should be absolutely no different. The problem should not be solved by expanding the budget, raising the ceiling, OR raising taxes. If the budget isn't balanced, then the government should be held responsible. If we're responsible for our budget, then the government should do the same.

We are bound to be going downhill and will have to find a solution to the problem if we want to keep from going downhill. It has to do with us as Americans looking into who we vote in and reading their background. The media does not give you enough information. If you want to solve our everyday problems, you have to start by doing your homework before you go out and vote.


Here are my answers to this month's questions for this month's session. Very good questions indeed! I look forward to my next session with new questions to answer. I encourage you to submit your questions and I'll answer as many of them as I can at the end of each month. You can simply submit them as a comment. I enjoy submitting to my blog and the experience is surely not the same without you the readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment