Saturday, August 13, 2011

Three Films I'm Looking Forward To Seeing This Fall

While I think about which "Fantastic Film" is the most deserving of being the film of this month, I ponder on another cinema-related topic. That topic being the three films I am most looking forward to seeing in the final third of the year. It seems as if the majority of the big, top-notch, Academy Award contending films usually premiere in the final part of the year. With the films that are out at the moment and the films that will be coming out later in the year, chances are it'll be the same. During the year, the films that to me were "films I had to see in theaters" included The Lincoln Lawyer, The Conspirator, Super 8, and Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2. Here are three more films that will join the list as films I will take the effort to see in theaters.

Contagion- I have become a horror fiction enthusiast. I collect books from the best of the best in the field of horror fiction and I enjoy reading something that's going to keep me hooked. Good horror movies have been able to keep my attention, while those that follow the same old redundant story line have not. Contagion, based on the Robin Cook novel, is more of a medical thriller with the threat being a virus. They can call it a medical thriller all they want, but this is indeed a scary premise and it surely grabs my attention. I will risk the even larger fear of germophobia, something that is so hard to escape, but this could be a new phenomenon if everything works out right.

J. Edgar- Clint Eastwood has really made it big throughout the last decade as a director. He's directed Million Dollar Baby, Flags Of Our Fathers, Letters From Iwo Jima, Invictus, and the list keeps and will continue going on. J. Edgar will feature Leonardo DiCaprio, one of my favorite actors of modern day cinema, as the man behind the Federal Bureau of Investigation, J. Edgar Hoover. Not only will this film cover his rise and how he exercised his position, but also his closeted homosexuality. If this film hits it big, then there's a very good chance that this will be the film that takes the Academy Award for Best Picture. At the very least, Leonardo DiCaprio would take the Best Actor award. However, it's too soon to be making Academy Award predictions and the film will not be out until November.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo- While the Millennium trilogy has been completed in Sweden, it is only beginning in America. With Daniel Craig as Mikael Blomkvist, Rooney Mara as Lisbeth Salander, and Christopher Plummer as Henrik Vanger, a strong cast means that this film has strong potential. Whether it skyrockets or not, this will be the film I am most eager to check out when it comes out on December 21st. I already have my calendar marked and whether I see it immediately or wait, I am looking forward to the event nonetheless, and I will most definitely see the film within the first week of release. This is going to be a very hardcore film with a definite R-rating, due to the severe content on every level. My rule remains the same: if the movie is good and original, that's all that matters.

My checklist of films has expanded and these are the films I have added. I will definitely evaluate the films after seeing them. Also, I will be definitely analyzing all of the films I saw this year in theaters at the end of the year. While I may not do a ranking list, since I don't get to see hundreds of new releases each year, I will do something to look back at everything I got to see. Then again, this is August, so I am speaking pretty soon. Still, this list will most likely not change a bit and I will be looking to watch these films when they come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment