Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Check This Blog: Loaded Shelves

Let's talk about books! I just wish I was able to read more of them. It would take becoming a book blogger or a book reviewer that can get consistent pay in order to come up with an excuse to read and not have to worry about anything else. If you want to be able to read what you want when you want... then you're going to have a hard time making consistent income unless your name is Oprah Winfrey and you already make enough. Book blogging is quite fun to read, as you get to see what everyone else is reading and learn about different books that you didn't know even existed. These blogs bring in quite a lot of attention, but there's a humble little blog that only has fourteen followers the last time I checked, yet the quality of the material that's found on this blog is just excellent. I am talking about Loaded Shelves, which is a blog that's primarily dedicated to books, but will cover other areas of interest. The blog is operated by two girls, Caragh and Brianna, and content is released just about as often as I release content... in a good month when I have the drive to release it.

Loaded Shelves began posting on Blogger in July 2011, where Caragh was the chief contributor and Brianna was a frequent guest contributor. Eventually, Brianna's contributions became frequent enough that by April 2013, she became a co-contributor and the blog became theirs. On this blog, the two girls review just about anything they choose to read, which is a cornucopia of all different genres. They review current fantasy novels, they discuss the young adult franchises of this generation, and even the classics. They read authors like Neil Gaiman or J.K. Rowling, in addition to older authors such as William Shakespeare, Charlotte Bronte, and H.G. Wells. Caragh also happened to come across a novel by Herman Wouk, whom I remember reading during my first year of college when I came across his Winds of War and War and Remembrance, which have to do with World War II. If there's one thing I learned about these girls, they have a library that's filled with endless amount of authors and they'll read anything and everything that appeals to them.

Aside from book reviews, they also take part in the segment known as "No Books Allowed," where they discuss anything that's happening in their lives that doesn't have to do with books. This can range from personal events, televisions, music, movies, games, and so much more. It gives you a bit of a background to who they are and what they do when they're not reviewing books. Caragh primarily hosts this segment, so it's usually from her point of view.

My favorite part of this blog, though, is how they provide updates on what they read throughout the month, what they intend to read next, and what they bought. They arrange it so that you see where each of them is when it comes to what they read, what they bought, and what's up and coming. I could never engage in such a segment, because I never know what I'm going to read next. I give Caragh and Brianna a lot of credit for being able to arrange what they plan to read so thoroughly and it allows us to follow along. They're incredibly organized.

Out of the handful of book blogs I follow, this has to be one of my favorites, and I encourage more people to follow this blog and keep up with the discussion. I see blogs, many of which are book blogs, that have hundreds or thousands of readers. The quality of the writing on this blog, as well as the content these girls put on this blog, leaves me to wonder: why don't they have hundreds or thousands of readers? They do promote their blog and what they write is just so intriguing. In addition, they reply to what you have to say and are open to guest bloggers to submit a book review. I may take them up on their offer... but we'll just have to see.

I will leave a link to the blog at the bottom of this post and enough you to check this out and I will wager high that you'll find something that you will enjoy, whether it's something you have read or haven't read, intended to check out, and then realize that now's the time to check it out. Caragh and Brianna orchestrate that feeling very well!

http://loadedshelves.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Wow! We're astounded by all of the wonderful things you said about us and Loaded Shelves. Well written and very humbling to know that our work is appreciated. ~ Caragh

    ReplyDelete